Sunday, December 16, 2007

Final thoughts on Nepal

Namaste, the all purpose word Nepalis use for hello, goodbye, thank you, and how are you is my favorite greeting thus far. When translated directly into English it means "I salute the god in you." The Nepalis say Namaste with grasped hands, as if praying, and big smiles - it is a pleasure to greet and be greeted in this country!

Men walk down the street holding hands with each other all the time but I never saw a man showing his affection for a woman. Its not sexual, just a sign of friendship and it looks quite odd at first.

It is said that Nepalis carry more on their backs than any other culture and I'd certainly believe it! From bricks to laundry to chickens, I've seen Nepalis carry mind boggling loads - once a Nepali man walked by carrying an American sized, family style refrigerator on his back!

Its much better to joke with the pushy tiger balm salesmen than be bothered by them.

No comments: