Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Adventures in Pokhara

Outside the restaurant where we were having breakfast the other day, we ran into a snake charmer! He tried to sell us the snake.

Afterwards, we headed down the street to Blue Sky Paragliding. We took a van up to Mt. Sarangkot - small for the peaks around here, but still easily 1,500 feet above the city - where we had some excellent views and readied for take-off. As I clipped on my harness the pilot said when I tell you to go, run off that cliff - I've always been very good at following instructions.

I took a few strides and began to feel the glider pulling upward on my harness, moments later I was airborne. The glider seat was surprisingly comfortable - more like a chair than a harness - and I never needed the safety straps to keep me in, although it was nice to know that they were there. The whole trip was very quiet the only sound you can hear is the wind, so I could talk easily with the pilot who dutifully answered the barrage of questions I had. We floated around for half an hour spiraling upwards in thermals then coasting around while slowly descending. The ride started on top of the mountain but ended down by the lake - along the way we passed over a few Nepali settlements and enjoyed some great views of the Annapurna Himalaya!


Later in the day we rented a boat and spent about two hours on Phewa Tal. We literally ran into a Canadian couple on the water while pirating! They took the joke in good humor and even had dinner with us later.



The rest will be brief because I am getting kicked out of the internet cafe. Earlier today I got a shave!

Later in the day we hiked up to the World Peace Pagoda at sunset and took some great pictures of the Annapurna Himalayas.


The descent was dark and tricky but we made it to the water and shared a boat back to town in the dark with a German we met while hiking!

1 comment:

GDL said...

Matt,

I know you'll be surprised, but I finally got around to trying the Blue Mountain coffee and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Keep writing.

g