Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Silk Market


Imagine every designer brand, watch, sunglasses, jacket, phone, camera, and piece of clothing you've ever seen in one place and all fake - that is the Silk market in Beijing. Vendors hassle you at every booth you walk past with compliments and attempts to get you into their booth. If you go, don't ever pay more than $15 for anything in there - the vendors will quote you a price of $100 but will settle for less than $5 for pretty much anything.

I can't write more now because I have to pack up before one final dinner with Danny and hopefully Gabe and Ali before leaving Beijing. These three have been the greatest hosts imaginable and helped us experience Beijing in a way that we never could have without their help. I cannot thank you enough!

Tonight we leave on the new train for Tibet! We will probably post something right when we get in to Lhasa but posting will probably be spotty at best, if at all until we reach Kathmandu, Nepal (November 23rd).

2 comments:

GDL said...

What a terrible job to sit in front of the computer all day and monitor websites. China sure has a lot to learn about people's rights.

Looking forward to the next post!

Anonymous said...

Dear Matt and Ellie,
I miss all the excitement of running around with you, but I love reading about your grand adventure.
I hear it gets pretty cold in Wilmington, and I look forward to reading your Bolgs this Winter, as I sit in front of a warm fire.
XXOO Tripod